Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Adsense blocked by spamming
Gijs
Indie Apprentice
Post Adsense blocked by spamming
on: October 19, 2012, 18:22

Hey guys,

If you've been following Nick's twitter account you will have noticed that his google adsense account got blocked by a fan spamming the ad on this site. I'm ashamed to admit that that fan was me. I'd like to explain why I did it and how I feel about the whole situation as it is right now in this thread.

I saw a tweet by Nick the other day, saying that he had had an ad on this site for a few months now and that he had made 11 cents in the entire time that it was up there, and he was thinking about removing the ad altogether. I thought, "Hey, maybe I could give it a few clicks to see if Nick get's any money from it. Couldn't hurt to try, right?" This was obviously un incredibly dumb descision and ended up getting Nick's adsense blocked completely.

At the time I didn't really think that it would work, but I thought there wasn't any harm in trying. I imagined the worst thing that could happen was that my IP got blocked from Google ads so my clicking wouldn't make anybody money, or that his amount of clicks for that day would get reset, so I clicked the ad about 20 times before going back to doing something else. When I checked my twitter feed today I saw that Nick's adsense got blocked, and knew that it was my fault. I feel incredibly stupid for not thinking about what the repercussions of my actions could be when I decided to click the ad many times, and I feel horrible about the fact that Nick's adsense is now blocked which could mean that he might never be able to monetize his videos and make a living of making YouTube videos. In trying to help out I actually made the situation worse by a magnitude I couldn't have imagined was possible by clicking an ad 20 times.

This is also where I think Google has an issue regarding their rules for adsense. If it only takes 20 clicks on one ad (which would apparently make someone barely a dollar) to completely shut down someone's adsense account (which might be their only source of income; if they're a YouTuber for a living) than this is a serious problem. There's no warning telling you that spamming an ad will cause someone's adsense to be blocked. And saying that I could've thought of that myself isn't very fair either. It makes sense that they would have a system for combating ad spamming because if they hadn't everyone could be rich by clicking their own ads. It doesn't make sense that they take such drastic measures as to block an account entirely when an ad gets clicked on 20 times in a row. They could register my IP so that my continuous clicking wouldn't make a difference in the amount of total clicks for the adsense account. They could reset the counter for that day to zero if it exceeds a certain number in a limited amount of time. They could do all sorts of things to counter ad spamming that would be much less drastic but equally effective.

I just want to be clear on the fact that I don't mean to make it look like I was a victim of Google's adsense spamming policy. I could've prevented all of this by not spamming the ad. I knew that it was probably a wasted effort before I even began and I didn't think of the consequenses that it would have. I do hope that you all understand that what I did wasn't meant in ill will, and that I hadn't foreseen the possibility of Nick's adsense being blocked. I'm terribly sorry for what I did, especially because I may have ruined Nick's chances to make a living off of making YouTube videos, which I've hoped he would be able to do for a long time. If this proves to be the case I don't think I could forgive myself. I've already made my apologies clear to Nick (we talked on skype for a while) and I hope you can all forgive me. This is such an amazing community, and I'm happy to be a part of it. I just hope that I haven't caused its downfall with this. :C

Sincere apologies,

Gijs

[EDIT from November 30] It might be important to mention that I'm only 17 years old and have no understanding whatsoever of a lot of this technical corporate stuff. It's pretty heavy to have someone you know very well get screwed over because you made a mistake that had far reaching effects and that you can do absolutely nothing about. There is no way for someone like me to fix the mistake I made, and I didn't even know it was that big of a mistake until I heard of the consequences.

(If any of the above text is grammatical mumbo jumbo, it'll be due to the fact that I'm not a native English speaker – I'm Dutch – so I hope you can forgive any lapse in grammar.)

Indies all the way. You can check out my deviantART page if you want: http://gijssickenga.deviantart.com/

Worthless_-
Bums
Indie Apprentice
Post Re: Adsense blocked by spamming
on: October 20, 2012, 14:48

Props for owning up to the mistake.

Gijs
Indie Apprentice
on: October 20, 2012, 17:08

Thanks but I'm really sad for Nick, he didn't even do anything and now he's fucked because of my screw up. I hate corporate bullshit like this. The worst part about it all is that nobody can do anything because Google is the almighty overseer that gets to decide if Nick will be allowed to make a living off of YouTube or that he's screwed for life. :C I feel so helpless. If I get someone into trouble I want to help them out of the mess, but in this case I can't do anything.

Indies all the way. You can check out my deviantART page if you want: http://gijssickenga.deviantart.com/

Niban
Tree Puncher
on: October 20, 2012, 17:42

It probably would have happened with someone else eventually. Google really needs to implement a better solution than an insta-ban. If anything, they should just make the clicks from the person spamming the ad no longer count for that ad/day. Then no harm done.

Anzariel
Indie Apprentice
on: October 27, 2012, 01:43

Same shit happened. This, combined with the new Youtube format (again) makes me think we should migrate to another media.

ruzan
Indie Apprentice
on: October 29, 2012, 10:31

Send him a buck via paypal and you will have given him 10 times what he was going to earn through that ad :p

Gijs
Indie Apprentice
on: October 30, 2012, 02:16

I know, it sucks... I heard some good news though, they've found a way to possibly make a new account that they could recreate infinitely by just changing one thing. I'm not exactly sure how it works but it might be a way out of this mess.

Gijs
Indie Apprentice
on: November 29, 2012, 17:19

I read today that Nick's adsense account got restored after a Kotaku article about the whole thing went up. It might not be permanent, so we shouldn't get our hopes up too much, but it's a pinpoint of light at the end of the tunnel at least.

Worthless_-
Bums
Indie Apprentice
on: November 29, 2012, 19:47

Nick's tweet: https://twitter.com/RockLeeSmile/status/274248718147010560

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.035 seconds.